Monday, April 11, 2011

SaltShakers Reunion

This past weekend I headed to Canmore for a Saltshakers reunion. For those who don't know anything about the Saltshakers here is a little history.

We are 6 girls who all grew up in Vernon and went to church, school, and youth group together. In 1999 we decided to start a little singing group and we called ourselves the "SaltShakers". We based it on the verse in Matthew 5:13 & 14 where it talks about being "the salt of the earth and a light of the world" and we spread our salt by being a singing group. I don't think any of us knew how special and close we'd become over the years. I always think back to my highschool days, and I know that these girls were a huge reason I didn't get more caught up in the 'bad crowd' at school. They were my accountability and they all challenged me to grow closer to God everyday.

There is so much I could say about each girl in this group and I have so many memories I could share. We have all gotten married except for one, Laura Davison, who got engaged this past December. We have a little tradition in our group to have a hot tub party when we get our first boyfriend but because we all live apart, we didn't have a chance to have a party for Laura. So we arranged a weekend away to celebrate Laura's engagement and to have a little reunion with a hot tub party. Half of our group live in BC and half in Alberta, so we met in the middle and stayed at a beautiful (and reasonably priced) resort in Canmore. It was such a great weekend. We had many hours visiting and laughing over old memories, we prayed and cried together and just enjoyed being with each other again. We are definitely friends who make it seem like we haven't even been apart...we just jump right back into everything. I don't have too many pictures from the weekend as Carey (a professional photographer) took all the pictures and is sending them to us. So here are a couple from the years past and one of this past weekend.


We used to sing, "Oh Canada" at the Vernon Vipers games. We look so young.


A little photoshoot


Christmas 2005


Singing at my wedding, May 2006.


This past weekend in Canmore, April 2011.


I love these girls and am so blessed to have them as friends.

4 comments:

Jason Weglo said...

what a great idea. way to keep the tradition going for Laura D. I'm sure you guys had a great time. Neat to see the most recent photo of all of you together. Looking forward to the other ones from Carrie
jason

Anonymous said...

You all have grown up so fast. My favorite memory of the saltshakers is when you would all be home for Christmas and sing O Holy Night. So glad that you all got to see each other this weekend.
~love shelley

Anonymous said...

I remember all the times when you would all practise at our house...even if Carrie did eat all the Mr noodles!
Mom

MommaV said...

awwwhhhh that is great! :)